Friday, September 12, 2008

Ariaú

Ariaú was the name of the hotel in which I stayed on my visit to the Amazon, north Brazil. It is an isolated hotel, built in the tops of the trees, in the Amazon jungle. Constructed almost entirely of wood it has eight towers which house the reception, restaurant and many guest rooms. Each tower is connected to the next by long wooden walkways, which sway and creek as you walk over them, whilst underneath them the runs the dark river Negro. It is not a particularly handsome structure, but then again I did not expect luxury in the jungle.

I spent 4 days and 4 nights in Ariaú, each day packed full of activities, so much so it felt like the 4 days were doubled. At the end of my stay I had no desire to leave. Not only had I fallen in love with the Amazonian rivers, boarded by trees of the greenest green, which were inhabited by natives, but I also felt a strong connection to both the hotel and its staff.

My three days were spent with a guide and a boat driver, both of which were born and raised in the Amazon rain forest. My guide was a native Indian, born into a large family who lived of the land and because of this he had a great knowledge of his surroundings. Although he spoke English we often found ourselves slipping into Portuguese to talk about his culture and my work here in Brazil. He took great pleasure in telling those with whom he worked about my work with disabled children and adults, about Conductive Education. As a result the staff would often shout hello and ask how I was as they passed by me in the hotel.

I went to the Amazon with a desire to see its vastness and swim in its rivers with the dolphins swimming alongside me. What I did not realise before I arrived there was that I would leave not only with satisfaction and pleasure at having done these things, but also with sadness at having to leave behind the many Amazonian people I met. I have left Ariaú, but I am taking with me many special memories.

No comments: