Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sink or swim?

I did not start this Blog with the intention of writing about my work, I write mostly about Brazil as people always ask "what does Brazil look like?", "what are the poeple like?", "where have you travelled to?" However work is a large part of my life here, it occupies most of my time and my thoughts and is in fact the reason why I am here in Brazil, so it seems only right to write a little about it.

I arrived here as a newly-qualified conductor, to a project that had been operating less than six months. I was, by my own choice, thrown in at the deep end and it was a case of sink or swim. I had so much to learn in my first year, I started working alongside another conductor, but within six months I was on my own, sole conductor of the Project Com Amor, and that is the way it has stayed for the last two years. At university I had many mentors and a large support system of other students and conductors, I was never alone. But I found myself straight out of university and my own boss, not everyones cup of tea, but it worked for me. Along the way I have learned so much about team management, I have a team of professionals all with different experiences and qualifications, each one vital to enable success of the project, each one a friend.

In the short time I have been here I have worked with more than 20 families from all over Brazil, each one compassionate for my work and courageous to trust in a profession about which they know little or nothing. Each parent or child I meet I learn a little more and make changes to both my professional and personal habits. I am I teacher, I teach my students, but all the while I too am learning.

During my time here I have designed furniture, designed room layouts, chose wall colours and fixtures, assessed and re-assessed students and staff, designed and redesigned programs, visited students schools, given lectures and workshops, planned social events for those associated with the project and more. I have done many things in a short time, I had to learn fast and the experiences I have passed will help me in my future plans. Speaking to a fellow conductor friend tonight we make plans to meet for the first time and for me to observe her work. When she asked what I hoped to see and do, I reply that I want to watch and learn, I know I still have so much to learn.

I am pleased to say that I did not sink, I swam and still am swimming, each day with a little more ease.

P.S. Thank you Susie for inspiring me to post on my Blog today, even though it is late and I, like you, am tired.

1 comment:

Susie Mallett said...

What a lovely surprise at breakfast to discover that you are writing on your blog again.Thank you for sharing some of your conductive experiences with us.

But please don't forget the original aim of your blog, to tell us what Brazil looks like. You paint such wonderful pictures with words that I always feel like I am walking along beside you whereever you visit. I could paint the places you describe.

I look forward to meeting you soon and before that to "seeing" more painting from Brazil!

PS
It was as always inspiring for me too talking to you last night and I go to work this morning with renewed energy and, if it is possible, even more enthusiasm.

See you soon
Susie