Friday, November 28, 2008

Amazonian sunrise

I was lucky to be awarded a penthouse room, at the top of one of the eight towers of the Amazonian hotel in which I stayed. The room was circular with a balcony running all the way around it, making it possible to see both the sunrise and sunset, each day. On the second day I woke early as the sun rose, and promptly left my bed to sit on the balcony and watch. The birds sung as the sky turned from a scarlet red to burnt orange. There was a strong breeze as the parrots greeted one another, and the small monkeys ran along the wooden walkways that connected the all the towers.

The actual rise of the sun from its first appearance of peeping over the horizon, to the full view of its beauty as it rose in the sky was very quick, a matter of minutes. A vibrant orange ball creeping higher and higher into the blue sky above. I could have sat there everyday watching the marvelous sight, without ever getting bored, as each day it is the same sun rising, but its appearance differs as do my thoughts.

No comments: