Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Modernity

During one trip I made whilst in the Amazon, our guide talked about modernity, and how it had affected those living in the area. The Amazonian natives had adapted and modernised in the last 25 years, but not to the same scale as the other states/areas in Brazil, and the rest of the world.

Regardless of place of birth, modernity is a part of every person's life, and we all have to adapt to changes within our lives on a daily basis. I live a 'modern' life, I have a mobile phone, a camera, an ipod, a camcorder. I use the Internet to communicate, to educate myself, and buy the things I want. I went to school, then funded myself through university and received a good education. I have a good job, rent a flat, pay the bills, travel afar in my holidays. I have all of this because I was born in a well developed country, grew up in a town with all the necessities, left home, became qualified and am now living a good life. I have a life that is very different to those lives I saw on the River Negro, with their basic accomodation and limited technology.

As I sailed the river for one last time, the boat arrived in Manaus and I left the river behind, entering a modern hotel, where fresh arranged flowers were being placed on the hotel reception desk. People were rushing around talking on mobiles or working frantically on their laptops and I realised that for four days none of these modern commodities had matter to me, and maybe in life less is more. I was in no rush to turn on my mobile phone or check my email, instead I wanted to get straight back on the boat, and sail back from where I had come.

No comments: