Thursday, May 29, 2008

When it rains, it pours!

After a relatively long period of sun and dry, the rain fell heavily as I slept last night. The tropical storm lasted almost the whole night, with lightening illuminating my room and thunder rumbling above the sea that separates the island of Florianopolis from the mainland. It brought back memories of the tornado that I watched, over the same sea, less than three months ago. To give it it's correct name it was in fact a Tromba da Agua, a tornado that does not hit the land, but stays over water. All was calm before it appeared, and looking out over the sea I could not quite believe what I was seeing. It truly was an amazing sight that I will never forget. Between the rocking sea and darkness of the sky was a tunnel of water, and as it got ever closer to the shore I could see the water moving up the tunnel. My how the wind blew at that time, and then it was gone and all was quiet again. The extreme weather in Brazil is always an excitement and never a fright.

No comments: